Thursday, January 16, 2014

Failure IS an option....

In an earlier post, I talked about reflecting on goals from the past year. So let's reflect...

Last year at this time I was starting a version of The Daniel Fast with my church. I had already decided to change my eating habits and planned to use the group support to kick off a 21-day detox of sugar in preparation of following The Paleo Diet as a permanent lifestyle change. In a nutshell, Paleo is a healthy eating plan which includes fish, meats (grass-fed preferred), eggs, vegetables, fruit, seeds and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes(beans, peas), and 'white stuff' ( flour, potatoes, and refined SUGAR) and processed foods. Dairy is also limited. But you can have BACON and real BUTTER. :) It's sometimes known as The Caveman Diet  (for more info go to Eileen's page PaleoSimplified or Google it. There is tons of info out there. )


Now, I have tried to control my weight for over 20 years. Mostly unsuccessfully.  I have tried Weight Watchers (twice), diet pills, HCG, Atkins, Low-fat, Slimfast, phentermine, exercise including Zumba and spinning, personal trainers, and weight lifting at gyms. Many other plans, products and gimmicks that escape me right now. 



So I set the date January 6, 2013, committed myself to start the Fast Challenge at church and follow with The Paleo Plan.  Then for about two weeks I ate like it was my Last Supper. I ate everything and anything I wanted as if it was my last chance to ever taste it again. You can't just throw out cookies and chips after all. I gained 10lbs.  But I was cool with that. I REALLY was focused on eating better and changing bad habits and not on the scale. I knew that weight loss would be a by-product because I was finally going to conquer poor food choices... with God and the Paleo Plan!




And here we are a year later. By standard definitions, I've failed again.  Oh I lost weight. About 40 lbs of weight. From January to June, I ate 'on plan' in 21 day intervals. For 21 days, I would stay away from the exclusions and on Day 22 I would 'cheat' and eat what I wanted. 

I found out quickly that my body LOVED Paleo food and it rebelled on Cheat Days. Cheat food made me sick. My first cheat was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I thought I'd die 30 mins after eating it. Headaches, stomach pain, bloating, joint pain, nausea. It took 2 full days to totally leave my system.


Paleo food gave me energy, curbed hunger, cleared up my allergies, chronic sinus infections, gastro issues and joint pain. I felt really good "on plan". I leaned on the Lord during cravings and read labels.  I persevered and stayed On Plan for 6 months. (Minus 40 lbs. WooHoo!) Gave away all my Fat clothes. 


YES! I finally beat this! It only takes 21 days to break a habit, right? And I stayed on track for 6 months! 

But how long does it take to break an addiction? Apparently, longer than 6 months. :(

Upon reflection, I found a pattern. I start a new diet/eating plan in January.  I feel strong and confident that it's going to be different this time. I throw out all the BAD food in the house ( or eat it) Then diligently follow whatever plan  or diet I am currently trying.  I have some success and feel pretty encouraged.  Then I struggle a little around Easter ( jelly beans, candy, big family dinner) but get back on track shortly after and stay pretty much on track until June. Down 30-40lbs! Woohoo! 

Then the kids get out of school. My schedule changes. Vacation.( You can't diet on vacation. it's vacation! Add 5.) Summer parties. (Add 10.) Summer's over. Kids go back to school. Schedule tightens. Come on, Sheila! You've come too far. Drop those kids at school and Start walking. ( minus 10) Then comes Halloween candy.(add 5) By this point, I've all but completely fallen off the wagon and if I'm lucky have one hand hanging on until Thanksgiving. (add 10) Then comes December. Food. Parties. Stress. Fudge. Christmas Cookies. (add 10).  

And here we are in January again and I am nearly to the pound of where I started one year ago.  I lose and regain the same 30-40 lbs every year. 

So, like I said, technically I failed...again. 

But this year I don't feel totally defeated. I'm not happy about the results but I don't have shame like in the past.  And I think that is because even though my body is the same, my mind and attitude have changed. I have learned some big things that I'll talk about in my next few posts. Things that I think are finally getting me closer to a permanent success.

They are:

1) My body loves me. 

2)  can eat without counting calories and still lose weight, and not be hungry.

3) I am addicted to sugar.  

4) There's something deeper. And I've been using a shovel, when I really need a backhoe.


If you can relate, I hope you'll stick with me during this journey of writing, self-discovery and beginning again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment